Suggestions and feedback

Home Forums Suggestions and feedback Suggestions and feedback

This topic contains 48 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by  ltl king 2 years, 2 months ago.

• Author
    WEB
    WEB
    Keymaster

If you want to help this game be the best that it can be, please post your thoughts here. I am always reading and looking for what you might want to see in the game.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

jacklowe
    Participant

Well saw the newest blog. Things appear to be moving along well. Hopefully I’m not rehashing ideas already considered but probably at this point I will.

First ideas on hardware. The wall I anticipate is the limited amount of tech in the 1980 start time. There really wasn’t a large variety, although it grows rather quickly. This is really where things take off, also the markets are rather limited things other than TV’s and radio’s, again this changes rather fast. The cost and risk of creating a console or computer is relatively high. I’m sure you’ve already considered these things. My solution might be similar. I suggest to things one the ability to sell components, CPU’s, RAM yadda, yadda. This creates another level to the game and opens up the early game somewhat. It would also create the interactions between companies that I saw you contemplating the use for in you blog. Also a research component for components along realistic lines, some items requiring multiple branches of research to make viable. Poking a 640 Nvidia card into a 386 motherboard would have realistic predictable results. Even if you could make them work together one part would be limited by the capability of the other. Now different types of end products don’t require the same level of tech and the requirements increase in this at different rates. So you might be able to find a market for lower levels of tech for quite some time depending on the product your producing it for. Producing components of to high or low a tech level for a product would leave you with a less profitable or even non profitable sub-product. The logic would cross both creating high tech end products that are overkill wouldn’t necessarily mean more profit. It might even be a loser. Keeping the supply/demand mechanic in line on the consumer end would be where I would put my marker for balancing. If that price is set to historic values at certain key points with a small plus or minus and set to stay within those parameters between markers should make the AI work a bit easier, and create the beginnings player limits, hopefully giving a good base to prevent easy exploits.

Got some ideas for a possible software model as well that would be able to utilize much the same process hopefully decreasing dev time to add the feature. I’ll save that for another time as this is getting a bit long. Hope this helps add a bit to the game.

WEB
      WEB
      Keymaster

jacklowe, these are some awesome things you put in this post! All noted. In the 80’s, tech was quite limited indeed. The plan is along the lines of what you mentioned. I do however like the idea of highlighting component creation at the beginning of the game. I am thinking of some interesting aspects of the early game difficulty. We think alike in this manner. My overall goal is to make the game stay challenging while making the climb to the top the most difficult, but also rewarding for different strategies.

Thank you so very much for this. I will be taking all of it into consideration because they’re all great ideas!

jacklowe
    Participant

Alright while looking thru the devlogs and contemplating on them I’ll give some brief ideas on software mentioned. I’ll comment on other things loosely but want analyse it a bit. I don’t like just popping off with whatever comes to mind….. usually. I did like the first devlog although there wasn’t a lot at that point to show there was still a good deal of exciting information. With that information considered… on to software and suggestions… YEAH!!!

Software and hardware really go glove and fist, particularly games. It’s still easy to see it today although one must look a little closer but in the 80’s the game industry more than any other thing drove the computer, console and indirectly the entire tech. industry. I grew up in that era, I watched it happen. The Atari is a perfect example as it had no other use thus no other influences to cloud the issue. Although computers had more going for them, their perspective market base would have been much smaller and as people don’t take to new things well when they are in the habit of using something else more familiar, in this case paper, the spread would have slowed significantly. Games was the game changer there as well.

With that in mind it would be almost a necessity to include, at least in some fashion, the influence of software in this product. At first I intended to suggest it be player controlled. However I’m much less certain that this is a good idea. It seems that your planning for the player to have their hands rather full with just the hardware side and if you utilize some of the previous suggestions they will. Giving them the option to do software as well may very well bog down the game from the player perspective. It could give them to much to do making the game slow down to much in order for the user to keep pace. Kinda like Goldielocks to little boredom no good, to much overwhelmed no good has to be just right. Besides if it’s found that with what’s mentioned it’s to little to do or players are progressing to quickly there’s still research which can be examined and expanded on quite a bit. If it looks like it’ll fit we can talk about software……. been dying to revamp and take concepts from gamebiz 2 and 3 as well as game dev tycoon toss em together sprinkle a bit of my own creative insanity on them and see what happens.

So I think it would be best to have software in the game but in AI control. The player should be able to interact with them, influence them to a degree, perhaps even buy one out so to speak, but they should still function with some independence. One reason was already discussed in the last paragraph, nuff said. Second reason is realism, and balance. Playstation doesn’t make it’s own games, anymore than microsoft makes it’s own computers, or Gateway makes it’s own OS systems. It’s more cost effective for them to work cooperatively with each other than to compete. That’s reality, also we don’t want a player to be able to become a super monopoly titan of everything. It could happen, if there’s even a small imbalance in the relationships between the two sides or them and the AI people will figure out how to min/max it. Soon as they figure that out some of the games charm and challenge is lost. That’s another of those gotta find the sweet spot subjects. Third and lastly giving the software side the full attention it deserves I predict would mean eventual compromises, better to focus on one side of things and hit a home run with it than spread out and increase the risk of both sides coming up short resulting in a lower quality end product than you’d like. Unless you’ve got a much larger staff working on this project than I’m assuming…

How precisely the AI should work to simulate the different consumer bases. What triggers will cause changes in their behavior and to what degree, immediately, and over time. How that will vary the interactions between the AI and the player are examples of some topics rolling around in my head. Although I’m thinking of utilizing a FORBES, INC 500, Wall Street Journal style to quantify some of those interactions to the player. Not precisely, but give them some hard data some more like trend info, rather like happens in reality. I don’t think the guys that run the bloody NYSE actually know how it all works or what will happen exactly they just think they know the most probable outcome with a high degree of certainty.

Sorry not perhaps as detailed as the previous one in some respects. I think it is still however useful, hope it is at least.

WEB
      WEB
      Keymaster

Once again, some great stuff here. Currently the plan with software is to put it in, but in a less complex way to avoid what you mentioned. At the moment, software will be simplified until later on where in maybe some added content, I will expand on it. We think alike because my fear was making the game to convoluted. In the end the experience is suppose to provide a challenge while making the player feel rewarded for playing the game their way and getting results. The important things as mentioned is striking that perfect balance which won’t be easy, but I am excited to be put to the test.

Hardware will be at the forefront, but the software will be fun in its own right. Again, I do indeed plan to expand on it down the road to hopefully add more longevity to the game.

I appreciate you taking the time to write these, they are very insightful and also helps confirm that I’m on a good path for this game. If you don’t mind, please expand on your ideas regarding software if you desire.

jacklowe
    Participant

P.S sorry for the wall of text. Wanted to edit and trim it down, but wouldn’t allow me to edit my post. I’ll be more attentive to length in the future.

WEB
      WEB
      Keymaster

Don’t worry about the wall of text. I will extend the “edit” timer.

jacklowe
    Participant

Nope don’t mind, just remember u asked lol.

Software, as I said it would be rather complex to iterate properly, but we can probably find some common theme’s and make simplifications that don’t take away from the over all feel. Easiest way to mesh software and hardware is to think of them both as developing technologies that are interdependent. As I mentioned software, specifically games drove the computer industry early on. They were a hit, people wanted more and of course better games. Which was limited by the platforms speed and ability thus better games= better computers and the tech to build them.

I think thus far game dev tycoon does gets it closest to right as far as how software and games evolved. There weren’t always engines. In the beginning each platform had it’s own language. You built a game for it in it’s language and that was pretty much it. Game Core.. game… ship game, rinse, repeat. Making an C64 game work on Apple didn’t work one used BASIC the other hexi-decimal, both languages I dabbled with. A game maker of that day would literally have to translate, pretty much rewrite the whole bloody concept, to get put out a game for both platforms. Similar comments for Atari, colecovision.. etc. Also you don’t see sequels or reuse until closer to the 90’s. Languages were to simple, improvement meant pretty much rewriting the thing. Game cores( stealing a word from game biz 3) rather evolve into engines slowly as languages become more complex, tech improves, internet is available. Looking at it like this software has components rather like hardware does, and an evolutionary process as well. Therefore what we can do is utilize the same tree structure for both minimizing work, time and effort. Just have to make sure that the larger tree is the template. Should also reduce work on the HUD end as you can reuse screens just displaying different information. The general concept should apply not only to games but to other software types as well including OS design the only extra stipulation for certain items, the OS for example would be a required level of technology. From there it would be a matter of giving each product it’s characteristics and abilities. The biggest potential thorn or the coolest part depending on your POV is the way hardware and software interweave. Need better overall platforms in order to write a more complex language, in order to get to OS systems like windows that will be more adaptable to a wider range of hardware profiles, spurring the evolution of true game engines. I think u get where I was saying it can get rather complicated. However I think by looking at the similarities between hardware and software we can simplify things to your liking.

Another consideration is employee’s. Early days, yeah walking in 6 ft of snow, barefoot, uphill, both ways again. Anyway extrapolating from earlier, the simplicity of computers meant that much more coding went into a game than now. Meaning your primary resource was a programmer, who also possessed other required skills. Still pretty much the field was just programmers, management, and marketing more or less. Developers, designers, graphics artists, weren’t needed in dedicated roles so much, perhaps in larger companies. I will admit that is a bit more deduction and OP than known fact. These roles seem to be created and grow as the industry grows and becomes more complex. Dedicated graphic design programs, ability to import images into a game. Needing to write 3 GB’s of code as apposed to say 100’s of thousands of Kb’s. The pressure to support a game after release with updates and expansions.

That last trend is a more recent one, it’s why I said in the last post that perhaps leaving software out of player hands for now and concentrating on getting hardware awesome might not be a terrible thing. That single trend more than others gives me ideas. Just like looking at a game for holes and weaknesses. I don’t see the type of response to this trend from the industry I would expect, looks like a hole to me. What does a good gamer do when he sees a hole in a game?

As promised will try and keep this a little more reasonable a stop here. Tyvm for your encouragement it does mean alot.

jacklowe
    Participant

Back again, as you may have noticed I tend to like to go complex looking at something in as much detail as practically possible. I then later simplify. I like this approach as it lets me look at as much of the whole picture as I can imagine first then hopefully allow me to make very intelligent, informed decisions about the best avenues to use to trim things down to something manageable, and hopefully fun,for the every day Joe. I also hope this approach allows me to leave enough to appeal to a core base, who are probably more knowledgeable. Sometimes i go overboard, I’m an EMT, a little bit of O.C.D goes with the job.

Gonna take the bit overview from the last post, condense into something more practical and perhaps expand on a couple key areas.

Think the place to start is employee traits for software. Graphical, Design, and Programming ability should obviously be there we could add creativity and organization but I think any other traits could fit into those three. Specialties should be genre, however I think there should be two categories, general and specific, to cover say Strategy Sci-Fi games. This will open up options for products a great deal. The employee could have a general specialty, and the specific would be obtained with experience, it might even change.

The other specialty would be a programming language, not a hardware platform. they can learn and become specialized in another. An analogy will explain why. In the early days it won’t matter much as each computer has it’s own language, no cross over. However later it matters a lot Gateway is not Dell, or Asus, but they all use windows, and windows is only compatible with certain languages. A hardware maker chooses the OS his/her device will or possibly can use. The difference becomes more noticeable with modern phone’s and tablets. Also allows the possibility for the player to be allowed to develop their own OS, can they outsmart Bill Gates? Fun challenge. From this template if you like it we can expand to some of the other aspects. Like the evolution process from game core to engine. Language to OS, how hardware will interact. Before I write another text wall we’ll see if you like the track I’m taking.

WEB
    WEB
    Keymaster

jacklowe, good stuff there once again! Thanks!

jacklowe
    Participant

Thank you wish I could say I agreed. I wrote the second post then realized I had devised it around the game I had intended to do, not the one YOU are working on. Stupid strikes us all occasionally. It’s not all bad however just have to adapt some of the core ideas. So we’ll try this again and get it closer to right this time.

Alright ground level employees, those that we won’t directly deal with, will still be represented with three (for now) traits. Graphics, design, and programming for software. We could do something like tech skill, design (again) and perhaps research for hardware. The ticket is to have the traits represent actual manual skill and knowledge, the ability to develop the boards and circuit pathways to make them functional. The last skill will be for advancing the processes to create new components, or the speed at which the process occurs. This will allow the lowest level be represented as a group while giving use some markers that can be used in evaluating the effectiveness of the higher level department heads that we will see and deal with. Their ability to not only manage and lead them, but to develop his/her team mentor and train them effectively.

The department head level will be for specific areas, or call them project leads depends on how many levels of management you want. Either way the next level would be for either particular projects or areas. I was thinking for software like a person in charge of action games, strategy games, database design and such. This persons skills such as the one’s you already have laid out would be used to influence the effectiveness or to increase in small measure his teams attributes. A team could be less effective than they appear because of a weakness in some skill or another.

Most of this is probably fairly close to ideas you’ve already come up with. Here’s one that might not be, the mechanics for development, and training. First we’ll set a maximum potential for each person. This is as good as they can possibly get. As time goes by and the employee ages this will slowly begin to deteriorate, mimicking the fact as we get older we learn slower because it takes longer our overall potential doesn’t so much diminish it’s just that we’ll be dead or demented before we can now achieve it. This will help limit a problem that occurs with games the cover long periods getting super NPC’s. All maxed out in all skills and using them to dominate and crush the game. Should also with other things help expand the thought that goes into the hiring process making it a bit more dynamic, hopefully fun, less of a chore one must go do simply looking for the best rated cheapest candidates. It will also hopefully make the team one leads more dynamic a mesh of strengths and weaknesses and thus human seeming.

There’s more just to bloody tired after a hard day to get my brain to focus at the moment, apologies. I went further into how the leader’s skills would affect those they lead with some examples, and how department head skills would sometimes interact with one another. Again the focus was on giving variety in hiring selection such that even with a modest number of candidates there would be many possibilities dependent on a persons game goal with no clear insta win pick. Other things augmented the idea of teams and leaders that couldn’t be maxed out with the idea of choosing a team whose strengths and weaknesses blend well. Also to make it a bit harder to produce 10/10 products. Guess it’ll have to wait til my focus is a bit better, again my apologies.

stevowevo77
    stevowevo77
    Participant

I think it would be cool to have the ability to do little things such as viewing the CCTV in your offices or scheduling a fire drill; affecting your production but giving you a reward from the fire department. Also, Call centres would be a nice addition as-well. Even if you don’t have the ability to control what goes on in the call centre, the fact that it’s there would just make the game more in depth.

WEB
      WEB
      Keymaster

I love those ideas Stevowevo. I already have some very similar things planned in regard to that.

DowlaTheKing
    Participant

WEB, you know there is always those little things that enhances the production and effectivnes of your emploiese, like aircondishoning, coffe, and bubble gums. Even dev tycon had aircondishoning , just something that can improve teh qualaty of the job…
    If you read this and if it makes eny sence…. Congratulations, its the need to upgrade that whil drive the player to play more, or so I think.

WEB
      WEB
      Keymaster

Dowla, indeed you are correct!

In the game as it stands you will have to maintain the happiness and comfort of your employees. Micromanaging won’t be big in this game if you don’t want it to be, but in the end happy employees make your company run more efficiently.

The good news is that you can pacify employees in different ways. Do you rather pay them above the average position rate, while foregoing the office comforts? that may work, or it can backfire…

I want it to be dynamic to a degree. Certain employees will like different things, so you won’t be able to have any “one comfort fits all” situation, though if you manage to get all like-minded employees, that is possible.

Fulysic
    Fulysic
    Participant

New Screenshots (05-19-2014):

My Feedback:
    Overall i like the way things are laid out it is well organized and its not all cluttered together which is good because its not an overflow of information being directed towards the player all at once with layout like in screenshots it makes things like navigation through menus easier when trying to find what you need especially for people new to these types of games.
    Everything looks self explanatory by looking at the screen shots i can clearly see what you are doing and what menus you are looking in.
    I really like soft transparent grey it is easy on eyes.

My few suggestions:
    Main HUD where player name time date etc:http://techexecutivetycoon.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/DebugTest02-2014-05-17-19-43-03-17.png
    Is it possible to have an option to minimize it when your not using it also in video blog i notice main HUD had more transparency and was lighter grey in color is this an adjustable option or is solid black a new idea?

In this screen shot http://techexecutivetycoon.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/DebugTest02-2014-05-17-19-43-00-39.png
    The section that contains the text about the wood meeting text is that easier to read in the actual game im wondering if its my eyes or text size i found it little hard to read

http://techexecutivetycoon.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/DebugTest02-2014-05-17-19-44-08-19.png
    In this screenshot there is a white drop down menu it kinda caught my eye in thumbnail not sure why but i think might be colors are not mixing well it could just be me but seeing all darker backings then having a white drop down with off yellow highlight looked odd but again this could be just the screenshot in game it might have different vibe.
    Plus if played for a long period of time say 7+ hours straight like i tend to do the brighter style drop down menus can be a relief on the eyes i have played games where menus become blurred from extended game play due to bright overwhelming colors

Regards
    Mark

WEB
      WEB
      Keymaster

Great suggestions Fulysic, thank you!

JOSHUA LEON
    Participant

I won’t repeat myself about HUD…but i have question.
    Will there be some kind of executives tree?I would like to see it even graphically presented…Character on top and company executives linked and evenly spread below accordingly(by their departments respectively).I think it would be great if would be possible to move employees up or down in that tree(promotions and demotions)
    If something else pops up in my mind I’ll post it here

WEB
      WEB
      Keymaster

Great suggestion, I like this idea a lot in fact. This can be done.

Fulysic
    Fulysic
    Participant

Just a quick suggestion will you be posting the screenshots on steam in the Tech Executive Tycoon community hub in news section.

Just that way it stays in peoples memory’s i know Steam user like seeing updates as well.

Just a thought

Regards
    Mark

WEB
      WEB
      Keymaster

Yes I will be doing this very soon

JOSHUA LEON
    Participant

idea for the hud

Fulysic
    Fulysic
    Participant

Tech Executive Tycoon Developer Blog 8 Feedback

Hi
    Another excellent Dev blog Tech Executive tycoon is looking really nice from what im seeing it looks user friendly and not to complex.
    Below are some suggestions from what i have seen im pretty happy especially for a pre-alpha

After watching the video the black main HUD looks pretty nice and i could see the transparency in video must have been the screenshot that made it look solid black or you have tweaked it maybe.

Currency: Just wondering what the plans are for this i know its pre-alpha but i just wondered is it going to be in USD only or will it be possible to select Euro and pounds?

Employee Satisfaction bar: I notice its only affected by the amount they pay which i like but i wondered if it would be possible for the employee satisfaction bar to be affected by benefits package chosen by the company as well.

Because if the plans cheap that is ok but if the package chosen has little benefits that should lower there satisfaction not shore if that makes any sense lol i can see it but cant find words i think on this little more.

Custom benefits packages: just floating this idea im not shore what your plans are but wondered if it would be possible to create a custom package so the user can select four benefits and make tailored package to suit there needs maybe at slightly higher cost to company.

WEB
      WEB
      Keymaster

Hello Fulysic, great points as usual.

– The HUD will still change. I like some things about it, but there will definitely be more fine tuning to come.

– Currency will be more than USD. For all the languages that the game will ship in, I plan to also have their currency.

– The employee satisfaction bar is affected by more than price. There will be more changes on that to come though. So far the things that are calculated in that bar is Cost and the Quality of Vendor. The idea is pretty much what you mentioned. I cover some of this in the video, but to recant, it basically will represent the employees affinity to the cost of the insurance vs the average region-wide or maybe country-wide. Also, the quality of the vendor is my way of expressing what you mentioned, so how good the “co-pays” are, the procedures covered by the insurance, medicines and so forth. I put it all into vendor quality because if I went into that much detail, this would probably no longer be considered a game, lol.

– Custom packages is a great idea and one I am fairly sure I will add in. I will also add in employee affinity to each of those benefit features covered (e.g. Healthcare, life insurance, etc…)

Fulysic
    Fulysic
    Participant

Hi

Some very nice screenshots once again im very impressed by what i have seen and having the ability to customize the aesthetics is big plus point for me as a player and buyer.

I have played games where i have wanted this as a possibility but it has never been possible or simply not an option.

Now i understand its Pre-alpha so i understand your probably well aware of most things as you said are not quite final yet.

I hope i got this right the potted plants the green texture looks sort of odd

The draw system/filing cabinet in the office cubicles look little off scale slightly to large but that could be the angle of the screenshots

maybe in conference room maybe a laptop or few tablets or phone or two on the table would set it off even glasses of water its just minor stuff but the conference table looks empty.

Maybe the possibility to have paintings on the walls its minor thing but just some ideas.

But really what is in screenshots looks nice the colors display an office environment very well or how i picture one to look anyway

I think an office upgrade DLC sounds like good possible idea

Really hope you get a few more people to leave feedback if you are reading the forum people please leave your suggestions and feedback for the developer

Regards
    Fulysic

Fulysic
    Fulysic
    Participant

Just watched Dev blog 9 with the walk through wow lucky i was sitting in my racing simulator rig if i was on an office chair i would of fell off because i was blown away by that video considering its pre-alpha it looked really nice.

Very good idea having the option to walk through and admire your company the rooms look well placed and there appears to be no glitching points where you can get stuck etc falling through the floor.

Just wondering if you plan to have more in the office areas such as light fittings maybe surveillance cameras pictures or even employee of the month just little cosmetic things purely for looks or maybe even the ability for company upgrades like a surveillance package places cameras around the office and package 2 adds motion sensors etc or even option to upgrade company air-conditioning which adds in ducting vents in roof.

I know the walk-through is just for looking around but there a few ideas not sure how realistically possible they are or if its even suited to Tech Executive Tycoon but hey you don’t know if you don’t ask πŸ™‚

Oh almost forgot its not highly important but will there be any random office sounds etc phones ringing random chatter maybe occasional keyboard typing when you go through in walk through mode.

Great Video
    Regards
    Fulysic

WEB
      WEB
      Keymaster

Hey Fulysic, Thanks so much first of all for your dedication!

To everything you said, the answer is yes. There will be a system almost exactly as you mentioned. So there will be office add-ons that enhance your office in many ways. Security systems, air conditioning and other amenities. All of these things will be on your budget as well πŸ™‚

So you will have to measure the benefit vs. the cost.

So each office is upgrade-able. What I want is for you to feel that the office is a part of you, that it is a character itself. You will upgrade, manage, sell, lease or even buy offices.

Pocketlove
    Participant

Hello, WEB Gaming Entertainment.
    So, as I could see, the translation will be on multiple languages, and I saw russian there. My native language is russian, so I am intrested in how will you be translating it. Because, google translate hasn’t got the best translation of phrases. It doesnot understand contexts.

WEB
      WEB
      Keymaster

Hello Pockeylove,

That is a very valid question. I’m planning to work with individuals for the translations. This will take place later in the development of the game though. I definitely do NOT want to use google translate though as I agree the context can get lost with that avenue.

Thanks for the question and I’ll keep you all updated on these things.

Pocketlove
        Participant

Thanks for reply, and good luck in development!

πŸ™‚

WEB
          WEB
          Keymaster

Thank you!

noobatit
            Participant

I can help with Turkish translation if that’s in your plans.

noobatit
    Participant

Hi.

Here are some suggestions. I’m not sure if they are doable, or they are in line with your plans, because I recently discovered the game and I didn’t have time to watch the videos.

1- I think a backstory would be good for players to feel the game better. Are you going to add this?
    What I mean with backstory is something like that; Jon is a guy who is a middle-manager in PineApple company. He is stuck with his position and can’t get a promotion. One day he has enough, and decides to start his own company, he gets the help of two other middle managers in PineApple who are also stuck at their positions.
    Or a giant company buys his company and fires him. Or he dreamt having a tech company since childhood, and he started one after he graduated from university.
    A video or a slideshow kind of presentation of the story would be nice.

2- Office. We could move to a bigger office or just expand our existing one when there’s the need. We could force our staff to work on the same desk if we are short on cash.

3- Technology. I hope you are not going to leave the technology level where it is in the real world. Because often times, this is the problem for games like this for me. I mean, I hope we see PlayStation 8, iPhone 9c, Ultrabook 2090 etc in the game. Technologies in the real world like wearable tech, Augmented Reality stuff, Robotics and personal assistants like Siri have the potential to generate some better tech for your game. You can add a more advanced version of one of these, or combine them. For example, A Siri-like robot that can wake you up in the morning after preparing your coffee, or an AR device that can take you to anywhere you want without getting off your chair and presenting you an interactive environment.

3- Business. I’m not sure if we will sell hardware in the game, but we can outsource some stuff to other companies, like assembling our new product in China, where the workers are almost free.

Some companies might announce bankruptcy and some might be the next search giant. This could be randomized and not make us feel taking the same steps every time we start a new game. Also, new companies could be founded, and we could buy companies and start-ups later in the game. For example, we can buy an augmented reality start-up and accelerate our research for a device, or create something unique in the game’s world.

4- Employees. Employees might want to work from home, and in return you may cut a portion of their salary. They might want to take their time on a personal project and you might get the privilege to buy the patent of his project, or at least buy a portion of it or make it a product of your own company and give the guy a promotion, if the project is successful. Or you can offer to help the guy and make his project become real by making him the head of a small team which will work on his personal project. Or just tell the guy he’ll get his salary cut if his performance drops.

When we are about to promote someone for a position, we could give everyone a project, and promote the one who does the best job, or ask them to come up with an idea.

When one of our staff decides to retire, we might ask him to consider the decision, or give him a percentage of our company’s share to keep him in the game and contribute to our company.

Chrolic
    Participant

A little thing i came to think of, you might already have answered it, but what about music?

Tycoon games seems to either lack, or completely rock the sounds and music.

A little idea, like other games, use music consistent with the time period. That would be really cool, maybe with a voice over with different news announcment (first graphic cards, first TV, things like that)

i havent gotten to read/watch the Dev blogs yet, so maybe you have it covered πŸ™‚

Nathboy321
    Participant

Hi

just had a bit of an idea that you could look into for
    the game,

beening able to select how long each day will last in real
    time eg at the start of the game a player could
    choose 15 mins 30 min ect for how long the game day will
    last in real time ,

also with being able to hire customer service maying
    adding in que time stats to see many people call in and how long they
    waited to see how your service side of the business is doing and then this could affect your rank , might be a good idea

looking forward to your replay

WEB
      WEB
      Keymaster

Good suggestions, queue time and all of the necessary feedback points will be in the game. πŸ™‚ great suggestions!

eSy
    eSy
    Participant

I watched the 14 Blog and it cool looking game. This may already be in the dev map but make the computer screen black and them when someone is using them (or that one) colored like is now. The second thing is to make better or clear Models and animations + player models and more realistic lighting and the last thing make the area at the gates (where they come) in like parking slot or something just don’t let it be black and make this game run at least at 2 duo Core 2ghz+ in low settings if so. Thanks for reading if you do.

Dev. Reply and I can tell more of my suggestions πŸ™‚ !

WEB
      WEB
      Keymaster

These things are all a part of the plan. I was just adding in some of the functionality with desk where there will be papers and other indicators that someone is working there compared to a desk where no one is hired. Good suggestions.

Feel free to keep the suggestions coming. I love to read them

eSy
    eSy
    Participant

So Thank you Web for reply. So here are my other suggestions (by the way if you need any beta testers i’m the guy “FREE” love your game).

1. (may be in the dev plan) make like textures for the boxes like for GPU,Games,CPU etc.
    2. You can make few outside areas like Street with moving cars,parking slot or lot etc.

For now only this two suggestion which are in my mind and i will post more if I get more suggestion.

WEB
      WEB
      Keymaster

1. This is planned
      2. This may be in, may not.

michael7310
    Participant

I would also love to try out the game once it’s ready , I have always wanted a game exactly like this , but this is nothing like anything else !

Suggestions:
    Add Conventions to showcase your product e.g E3 , Electronic Consumers Convention stuff like that

And what is the release date? I really want this game!!
    Also add MAC support

Thanks love this game.

WEB
      WEB
      Keymaster

Yes conventions are definitely planned.

There will be Mac support and the release date is mid 2015, targeting June.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 7 months ago by WEB WEB.

michael7310
        Participant

Is there a alpha or beta available? If they’re is not i recommend releasing a alpha version / beta , early access

WEB
          WEB
          Keymaster

I plan to release a beta version for testing purposes. I have not nailed down a date yet, but it is coming soon.

michael7310
    Participant

Also will we be able to see the competitors their market share , they’re headquarters they new and old products? and the sale price of their units and have notifications if competitors implement price drops , and also provide a recommended sale price along with how much it costs to produce one unit and have percentage numbers on the profit per unit you will be able to make?

Thanks,
    Michael

michael7310
    Participant

Also for game console development , it would be cool if you could edit the size of CPU , the exterior of the console and get ratings regarding the design , size etc and what customers are looking for , by customising this i mean , for example clicking a button and then you are taken to a warehouse / factory and can design your motherboard and console design , which will implement how much a unit would cost due to the materials and quality of the products you use in your unit , and be able to change the shape with TV’s radios etc , so you have a leading edge over your competitors and look different , personally i think it’s a great idea as it allows more of a customisable aspect to the game.

Boris911
    Participant

Hello,
    my next suggestion is that before start selling of your new product you will be able do any introduction invention, like do e.g. Apple.

From there will be create hype of fan which will want to buy it much more, but how much will be depend on player’s (your CEO) e.g. amount of charisma skill points and presentation/selling skill points.

Boris911
    Participant

Otherwise to future you could create (e.g. like payment DLC for Tech Executive Tycoon) business like cellular network provider (like e.g. Vodafone or AT&T).

Player will have to research new technology of network (e.g. you will start with analogue NMT network, after research (e.g. GSM for call and GPRS for data) you will be able to invest to upgrade your network to digital GSM network, GPRS for data transfer from CSD dial up).

You would be able re-brand mobile phone from OEM manufacture to your brand.

Buy needed frequency from government auction for regions where you will wand expend (e.g. if you want to build or expand your network in Germany or USA you will want to buy = win free frequency for it in government auction which will sell it), etc…

Or you can expand to the world-wide country like virtual mobile provider (MVNO) if you will not have your own frequency or enough money.

Or in future you could be able to buy loosing competitors company.

That is my idea.

ltl king
    Participant

Hi.
    1- I think a backstory would be good for players to feel the game better. Are you going to add this?
    What I mean with backstory is something like that; Jon is a guy who is a middle-manager in PineApple company. He is stuck with his position and can’t get a promotion. One day he has enough, and decides to start his own company, he gets the help of two other middle managers in PineApple who are also stuck at their positions.
    Or a giant company buys his company and fires him. Or he dreamt having a tech company since childhood, and he started one after he graduated from university.

Jon is a guy who is a middle-manager in Watermelon. company. He is stuck with his position and can’t get a promotion. One day he has enough, and decides to
    “Apply to your company.” You would get him with high skills at a cheaper cost than normal.
    Maybe just not enough hrs.
    (I have been in that position before. My hrs were getting cut so I picked up another job to get more hrs. Some time later. He gave me my hrs back.)

Having a position of management open or soon to open may draw people from other companies to yours or make them want a higher salary if you do not have any management potions open or soon to open.

To break this away from the other similar games. Have goals/levels to reach in order to move to the next level.

Amass 10 mil within 10 yrs. Money hoarding cooperates. πŸ™‚
    Have a profit margin 5,000 of by the X yr.
    Develop a game with a review of 5/10… 6/10… within X ys.

Making the goals will allow you to play higher levels which allows larger offices or some other unlockable.
    (Sandbox mode of course)
    To make it on hard mode.
    You have a small 1 room office and 1 employees and have to develop a 10/10 review.
    Submit challenges though the forums.
    This would make the game more open to repayable.

In the beginning the player can be involved in development process.

A game room. A few game consoles where employees go to relax and take a break. Playing other games, possibly have a game breaking idea to add to your game. Testing out the competition.
    Bug testing your item while on break.

In the video the objects placed in set spots.
    Later maybe even after release try to make it free build where you can place objects where we choose.
    Even be able to buy an open office bldg or buy land to build your own office. Where you can place the walls yourself.

Having a large accountants office. You would be able to have more in there working and it has benefits of managing money.
    Large HR Dept. Lower salaries.

Leave it up to players and see what players can come up with.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 2 months ago by  ltl king.
  • Author
    WEB
    WEB
    Keymaster

If you want to help this game be the best that it can be, please post your thoughts here. I am always reading and looking for what you might want to see in the game.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

jacklowe
    Participant

Well saw the newest blog. Things appear to be moving along well. Hopefully I’m not rehashing ideas already considered but probably at this point I will.

First ideas on hardware. The wall I anticipate is the limited amount of tech in the 1980 start time. There really wasn’t a large variety, although it grows rather quickly. This is really where things take off, also the markets are rather limited things other than TV’s and radio’s, again this changes rather fast. The cost and risk of creating a console or computer is relatively high. I’m sure you’ve already considered these things. My solution might be similar. I suggest to things one the ability to sell components, CPU’s, RAM yadda, yadda. This creates another level to the game and opens up the early game somewhat. It would also create the interactions between companies that I saw you contemplating the use for in you blog. Also a research component for components along realistic lines, some items requiring multiple branches of research to make viable. Poking a 640 Nvidia card into a 386 motherboard would have realistic predictable results. Even if you could make them work together one part would be limited by the capability of the other. Now different types of end products don’t require the same level of tech and the requirements increase in this at different rates. So you might be able to find a market for lower levels of tech for quite some time depending on the product your producing it for. Producing components of to high or low a tech level for a product would leave you with a less profitable or even non profitable sub-product. The logic would cross both creating high tech end products that are overkill wouldn’t necessarily mean more profit. It might even be a loser. Keeping the supply/demand mechanic in line on the consumer end would be where I would put my marker for balancing. If that price is set to historic values at certain key points with a small plus or minus and set to stay within those parameters between markers should make the AI work a bit easier, and create the beginnings player limits, hopefully giving a good base to prevent easy exploits.

Got some ideas for a possible software model as well that would be able to utilize much the same process hopefully decreasing dev time to add the feature. I’ll save that for another time as this is getting a bit long. Hope this helps add a bit to the game.

WEB
      WEB
      Keymaster

jacklowe, these are some awesome things you put in this post! All noted. In the 80’s, tech was quite limited indeed. The plan is along the lines of what you mentioned. I do however like the idea of highlighting component creation at the beginning of the game. I am thinking of some interesting aspects of the early game difficulty. We think alike in this manner. My overall goal is to make the game stay challenging while making the climb to the top the most difficult, but also rewarding for different strategies.

Thank you so very much for this. I will be taking all of it into consideration because they’re all great ideas!

jacklowe
    Participant

Alright while looking thru the devlogs and contemplating on them I’ll give some brief ideas on software mentioned. I’ll comment on other things loosely but want analyse it a bit. I don’t like just popping off with whatever comes to mind….. usually. I did like the first devlog although there wasn’t a lot at that point to show there was still a good deal of exciting information. With that information considered… on to software and suggestions… YEAH!!!

Software and hardware really go glove and fist, particularly games. It’s still easy to see it today although one must look a little closer but in the 80’s the game industry more than any other thing drove the computer, console and indirectly the entire tech. industry. I grew up in that era, I watched it happen. The Atari is a perfect example as it had no other use thus no other influences to cloud the issue. Although computers had more going for them, their perspective market base would have been much smaller and as people don’t take to new things well when they are in the habit of using something else more familiar, in this case paper, the spread would have slowed significantly. Games was the game changer there as well.

With that in mind it would be almost a necessity to include, at least in some fashion, the influence of software in this product. At first I intended to suggest it be player controlled. However I’m much less certain that this is a good idea. It seems that your planning for the player to have their hands rather full with just the hardware side and if you utilize some of the previous suggestions they will. Giving them the option to do software as well may very well bog down the game from the player perspective. It could give them to much to do making the game slow down to much in order for the user to keep pace. Kinda like Goldielocks to little boredom no good, to much overwhelmed no good has to be just right. Besides if it’s found that with what’s mentioned it’s to little to do or players are progressing to quickly there’s still research which can be examined and expanded on quite a bit. If it looks like it’ll fit we can talk about software……. been dying to revamp and take concepts from gamebiz 2 and 3 as well as game dev tycoon toss em together sprinkle a bit of my own creative insanity on them and see what happens.

So I think it would be best to have software in the game but in AI control. The player should be able to interact with them, influence them to a degree, perhaps even buy one out so to speak, but they should still function with some independence. One reason was already discussed in the last paragraph, nuff said. Second reason is realism, and balance. Playstation doesn’t make it’s own games, anymore than microsoft makes it’s own computers, or Gateway makes it’s own OS systems. It’s more cost effective for them to work cooperatively with each other than to compete. That’s reality, also we don’t want a player to be able to become a super monopoly titan of everything. It could happen, if there’s even a small imbalance in the relationships between the two sides or them and the AI people will figure out how to min/max it. Soon as they figure that out some of the games charm and challenge is lost. That’s another of those gotta find the sweet spot subjects. Third and lastly giving the software side the full attention it deserves I predict would mean eventual compromises, better to focus on one side of things and hit a home run with it than spread out and increase the risk of both sides coming up short resulting in a lower quality end product than you’d like. Unless you’ve got a much larger staff working on this project than I’m assuming…

How precisely the AI should work to simulate the different consumer bases. What triggers will cause changes in their behavior and to what degree, immediately, and over time. How that will vary the interactions between the AI and the player are examples of some topics rolling around in my head. Although I’m thinking of utilizing a FORBES, INC 500, Wall Street Journal style to quantify some of those interactions to the player. Not precisely, but give them some hard data some more like trend info, rather like happens in reality. I don’t think the guys that run the bloody NYSE actually know how it all works or what will happen exactly they just think they know the most probable outcome with a high degree of certainty.

Sorry not perhaps as detailed as the previous one in some respects. I think it is still however useful, hope it is at least.

WEB
      WEB
      Keymaster

Once again, some great stuff here. Currently the plan with software is to put it in, but in a less complex way to avoid what you mentioned. At the moment, software will be simplified until later on where in maybe some added content, I will expand on it. We think alike because my fear was making the game to convoluted. In the end the experience is suppose to provide a challenge while making the player feel rewarded for playing the game their way and getting results. The important things as mentioned is striking that perfect balance which won’t be easy, but I am excited to be put to the test.

Hardware will be at the forefront, but the software will be fun in its own right. Again, I do indeed plan to expand on it down the road to hopefully add more longevity to the game.

I appreciate you taking the time to write these, they are very insightful and also helps confirm that I’m on a good path for this game. If you don’t mind, please expand on your ideas regarding software if you desire.

jacklowe
    Participant

P.S sorry for the wall of text. Wanted to edit and trim it down, but wouldn’t allow me to edit my post. I’ll be more attentive to length in the future.

WEB
      WEB
      Keymaster

Don’t worry about the wall of text. I will extend the “edit” timer.

jacklowe
    Participant

Nope don’t mind, just remember u asked lol.

Software, as I said it would be rather complex to iterate properly, but we can probably find some common theme’s and make simplifications that don’t take away from the over all feel. Easiest way to mesh software and hardware is to think of them both as developing technologies that are interdependent. As I mentioned software, specifically games drove the computer industry early on. They were a hit, people wanted more and of course better games. Which was limited by the platforms speed and ability thus better games= better computers and the tech to build them.

I think thus far game dev tycoon does gets it closest to right as far as how software and games evolved. There weren’t always engines. In the beginning each platform had it’s own language. You built a game for it in it’s language and that was pretty much it. Game Core.. game… ship game, rinse, repeat. Making an C64 game work on Apple didn’t work one used BASIC the other hexi-decimal, both languages I dabbled with. A game maker of that day would literally have to translate, pretty much rewrite the whole bloody concept, to get put out a game for both platforms. Similar comments for Atari, colecovision.. etc. Also you don’t see sequels or reuse until closer to the 90’s. Languages were to simple, improvement meant pretty much rewriting the thing. Game cores( stealing a word from game biz 3) rather evolve into engines slowly as languages become more complex, tech improves, internet is available. Looking at it like this software has components rather like hardware does, and an evolutionary process as well. Therefore what we can do is utilize the same tree structure for both minimizing work, time and effort. Just have to make sure that the larger tree is the template. Should also reduce work on the HUD end as you can reuse screens just displaying different information. The general concept should apply not only to games but to other software types as well including OS design the only extra stipulation for certain items, the OS for example would be a required level of technology. From there it would be a matter of giving each product it’s characteristics and abilities. The biggest potential thorn or the coolest part depending on your POV is the way hardware and software interweave. Need better overall platforms in order to write a more complex language, in order to get to OS systems like windows that will be more adaptable to a wider range of hardware profiles, spurring the evolution of true game engines. I think u get where I was saying it can get rather complicated. However I think by looking at the similarities between hardware and software we can simplify things to your liking.

Another consideration is employee’s. Early days, yeah walking in 6 ft of snow, barefoot, uphill, both ways again. Anyway extrapolating from earlier, the simplicity of computers meant that much more coding went into a game than now. Meaning your primary resource was a programmer, who also possessed other required skills. Still pretty much the field was just programmers, management, and marketing more or less. Developers, designers, graphics artists, weren’t needed in dedicated roles so much, perhaps in larger companies. I will admit that is a bit more deduction and OP than known fact. These roles seem to be created and grow as the industry grows and becomes more complex. Dedicated graphic design programs, ability to import images into a game. Needing to write 3 GB’s of code as apposed to say 100’s of thousands of Kb’s. The pressure to support a game after release with updates and expansions.

That last trend is a more recent one, it’s why I said in the last post that perhaps leaving software out of player hands for now and concentrating on getting hardware awesome might not be a terrible thing. That single trend more than others gives me ideas. Just like looking at a game for holes and weaknesses. I don’t see the type of response to this trend from the industry I would expect, looks like a hole to me. What does a good gamer do when he sees a hole in a game?

As promised will try and keep this a little more reasonable a stop here. Tyvm for your encouragement it does mean alot.

jacklowe
    Participant

Back again, as you may have noticed I tend to like to go complex looking at something in as much detail as practically possible. I then later simplify. I like this approach as it lets me look at as much of the whole picture as I can imagine first then hopefully allow me to make very intelligent, informed decisions about the best avenues to use to trim things down to something manageable, and hopefully fun,for the every day Joe. I also hope this approach allows me to leave enough to appeal to a core base, who are probably more knowledgeable. Sometimes i go overboard, I’m an EMT, a little bit of O.C.D goes with the job.

Gonna take the bit overview from the last post, condense into something more practical and perhaps expand on a couple key areas.

Think the place to start is employee traits for software. Graphical, Design, and Programming ability should obviously be there we could add creativity and organization but I think any other traits could fit into those three. Specialties should be genre, however I think there should be two categories, general and specific, to cover say Strategy Sci-Fi games. This will open up options for products a great deal. The employee could have a general specialty, and the specific would be obtained with experience, it might even change.

The other specialty would be a programming language, not a hardware platform. they can learn and become specialized in another. An analogy will explain why. In the early days it won’t matter much as each computer has it’s own language, no cross over. However later it matters a lot Gateway is not Dell, or Asus, but they all use windows, and windows is only compatible with certain languages. A hardware maker chooses the OS his/her device will or possibly can use. The difference becomes more noticeable with modern phone’s and tablets. Also allows the possibility for the player to be allowed to develop their own OS, can they outsmart Bill Gates? Fun challenge. From this template if you like it we can expand to some of the other aspects. Like the evolution process from game core to engine. Language to OS, how hardware will interact. Before I write another text wall we’ll see if you like the track I’m taking.

WEB
    WEB
    Keymaster

jacklowe, good stuff there once again! Thanks!

jacklowe
    Participant

Thank you wish I could say I agreed. I wrote the second post then realized I had devised it around the game I had intended to do, not the one YOU are working on. Stupid strikes us all occasionally. It’s not all bad however just have to adapt some of the core ideas. So we’ll try this again and get it closer to right this time.

Alright ground level employees, those that we won’t directly deal with, will still be represented with three (for now) traits. Graphics, design, and programming for software. We could do something like tech skill, design (again) and perhaps research for hardware. The ticket is to have the traits represent actual manual skill and knowledge, the ability to develop the boards and circuit pathways to make them functional. The last skill will be for advancing the processes to create new components, or the speed at which the process occurs. This will allow the lowest level be represented as a group while giving use some markers that can be used in evaluating the effectiveness of the higher level department heads that we will see and deal with. Their ability to not only manage and lead them, but to develop his/her team mentor and train them effectively.

The department head level will be for specific areas, or call them project leads depends on how many levels of management you want. Either way the next level would be for either particular projects or areas. I was thinking for software like a person in charge of action games, strategy games, database design and such. This persons skills such as the one’s you already have laid out would be used to influence the effectiveness or to increase in small measure his teams attributes. A team could be less effective than they appear because of a weakness in some skill or another.

Most of this is probably fairly close to ideas you’ve already come up with. Here’s one that might not be, the mechanics for development, and training. First we’ll set a maximum potential for each person. This is as good as they can possibly get. As time goes by and the employee ages this will slowly begin to deteriorate, mimicking the fact as we get older we learn slower because it takes longer our overall potential doesn’t so much diminish it’s just that we’ll be dead or demented before we can now achieve it. This will help limit a problem that occurs with games the cover long periods getting super NPC’s. All maxed out in all skills and using them to dominate and crush the game. Should also with other things help expand the thought that goes into the hiring process making it a bit more dynamic, hopefully fun, less of a chore one must go do simply looking for the best rated cheapest candidates. It will also hopefully make the team one leads more dynamic a mesh of strengths and weaknesses and thus human seeming.

There’s more just to bloody tired after a hard day to get my brain to focus at the moment, apologies. I went further into how the leader’s skills would affect those they lead with some examples, and how department head skills would sometimes interact with one another. Again the focus was on giving variety in hiring selection such that even with a modest number of candidates there would be many possibilities dependent on a persons game goal with no clear insta win pick. Other things augmented the idea of teams and leaders that couldn’t be maxed out with the idea of choosing a team whose strengths and weaknesses blend well. Also to make it a bit harder to produce 10/10 products. Guess it’ll have to wait til my focus is a bit better, again my apologies.

stevowevo77
    stevowevo77
    Participant

I think it would be cool to have the ability to do little things such as viewing the CCTV in your offices or scheduling a fire drill; affecting your production but giving you a reward from the fire department. Also, Call centres would be a nice addition as-well. Even if you don’t have the ability to control what goes on in the call centre, the fact that it’s there would just make the game more in depth.

WEB
      WEB
      Keymaster

I love those ideas Stevowevo. I already have some very similar things planned in regard to that.

DowlaTheKing
    Participant

WEB, you know there is always those little things that enhances the production and effectivnes of your emploiese, like aircondishoning, coffe, and bubble gums. Even dev tycon had aircondishoning , just something that can improve teh qualaty of the job…
    If you read this and if it makes eny sence…. Congratulations, its the need to upgrade that whil drive the player to play more, or so I think.

WEB
      WEB
      Keymaster

Dowla, indeed you are correct!

In the game as it stands you will have to maintain the happiness and comfort of your employees. Micromanaging won’t be big in this game if you don’t want it to be, but in the end happy employees make your company run more efficiently.

The good news is that you can pacify employees in different ways. Do you rather pay them above the average position rate, while foregoing the office comforts? that may work, or it can backfire…

I want it to be dynamic to a degree. Certain employees will like different things, so you won’t be able to have any “one comfort fits all” situation, though if you manage to get all like-minded employees, that is possible.

Fulysic
    Fulysic
    Participant

New Screenshots (05-19-2014):

My Feedback:
    Overall i like the way things are laid out it is well organized and its not all cluttered together which is good because its not an overflow of information being directed towards the player all at once with layout like in screenshots it makes things like navigation through menus easier when trying to find what you need especially for people new to these types of games.
    Everything looks self explanatory by looking at the screen shots i can clearly see what you are doing and what menus you are looking in.
    I really like soft transparent grey it is easy on eyes.

My few suggestions:
    Main HUD where player name time date etc:http://techexecutivetycoon.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/DebugTest02-2014-05-17-19-43-03-17.png
    Is it possible to have an option to minimize it when your not using it also in video blog i notice main HUD had more transparency and was lighter grey in color is this an adjustable option or is solid black a new idea?

In this screen shot http://techexecutivetycoon.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/DebugTest02-2014-05-17-19-43-00-39.png
    The section that contains the text about the wood meeting text is that easier to read in the actual game im wondering if its my eyes or text size i found it little hard to read

http://techexecutivetycoon.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/DebugTest02-2014-05-17-19-44-08-19.png
    In this screenshot there is a white drop down menu it kinda caught my eye in thumbnail not sure why but i think might be colors are not mixing well it could just be me but seeing all darker backings then having a white drop down with off yellow highlight looked odd but again this could be just the screenshot in game it might have different vibe.
    Plus if played for a long period of time say 7+ hours straight like i tend to do the brighter style drop down menus can be a relief on the eyes i have played games where menus become blurred from extended game play due to bright overwhelming colors

Regards
    Mark

WEB
      WEB
      Keymaster

Great suggestions Fulysic, thank you!

JOSHUA LEON
    Participant

I won’t repeat myself about HUD…but i have question.
    Will there be some kind of executives tree?I would like to see it even graphically presented…Character on top and company executives linked and evenly spread below accordingly(by their departments respectively).I think it would be great if would be possible to move employees up or down in that tree(promotions and demotions)
    If something else pops up in my mind I’ll post it here

WEB
      WEB
      Keymaster

Great suggestion, I like this idea a lot in fact. This can be done.

Fulysic
    Fulysic
    Participant

Just a quick suggestion will you be posting the screenshots on steam in the Tech Executive Tycoon community hub in news section.

Just that way it stays in peoples memory’s i know Steam user like seeing updates as well.

Just a thought

Regards
    Mark

WEB
      WEB
      Keymaster

Yes I will be doing this very soon

JOSHUA LEON
    Participant

idea for the hud

Fulysic
    Fulysic
    Participant

Tech Executive Tycoon Developer Blog 8 Feedback

Hi
    Another excellent Dev blog Tech Executive tycoon is looking really nice from what im seeing it looks user friendly and not to complex.
    Below are some suggestions from what i have seen im pretty happy especially for a pre-alpha

After watching the video the black main HUD looks pretty nice and i could see the transparency in video must have been the screenshot that made it look solid black or you have tweaked it maybe.

Currency: Just wondering what the plans are for this i know its pre-alpha but i just wondered is it going to be in USD only or will it be possible to select Euro and pounds?

Employee Satisfaction bar: I notice its only affected by the amount they pay which i like but i wondered if it would be possible for the employee satisfaction bar to be affected by benefits package chosen by the company as well.

Because if the plans cheap that is ok but if the package chosen has little benefits that should lower there satisfaction not shore if that makes any sense lol i can see it but cant find words i think on this little more.

Custom benefits packages: just floating this idea im not shore what your plans are but wondered if it would be possible to create a custom package so the user can select four benefits and make tailored package to suit there needs maybe at slightly higher cost to company.

WEB
      WEB
      Keymaster

Hello Fulysic, great points as usual.

– The HUD will still change. I like some things about it, but there will definitely be more fine tuning to come.

– Currency will be more than USD. For all the languages that the game will ship in, I plan to also have their currency.

– The employee satisfaction bar is affected by more than price. There will be more changes on that to come though. So far the things that are calculated in that bar is Cost and the Quality of Vendor. The idea is pretty much what you mentioned. I cover some of this in the video, but to recant, it basically will represent the employees affinity to the cost of the insurance vs the average region-wide or maybe country-wide. Also, the quality of the vendor is my way of expressing what you mentioned, so how good the “co-pays” are, the procedures covered by the insurance, medicines and so forth. I put it all into vendor quality because if I went into that much detail, this would probably no longer be considered a game, lol.

– Custom packages is a great idea and one I am fairly sure I will add in. I will also add in employee affinity to each of those benefit features covered (e.g. Healthcare, life insurance, etc…)

Fulysic
    Fulysic
    Participant

Hi

Some very nice screenshots once again im very impressed by what i have seen and having the ability to customize the aesthetics is big plus point for me as a player and buyer.

I have played games where i have wanted this as a possibility but it has never been possible or simply not an option.

Now i understand its Pre-alpha so i understand your probably well aware of most things as you said are not quite final yet.

I hope i got this right the potted plants the green texture looks sort of odd

The draw system/filing cabinet in the office cubicles look little off scale slightly to large but that could be the angle of the screenshots

maybe in conference room maybe a laptop or few tablets or phone or two on the table would set it off even glasses of water its just minor stuff but the conference table looks empty.

Maybe the possibility to have paintings on the walls its minor thing but just some ideas.

But really what is in screenshots looks nice the colors display an office environment very well or how i picture one to look anyway

I think an office upgrade DLC sounds like good possible idea

Really hope you get a few more people to leave feedback if you are reading the forum people please leave your suggestions and feedback for the developer

Regards
    Fulysic

Fulysic
    Fulysic
    Participant

Just watched Dev blog 9 with the walk through wow lucky i was sitting in my racing simulator rig if i was on an office chair i would of fell off because i was blown away by that video considering its pre-alpha it looked really nice.

Very good idea having the option to walk through and admire your company the rooms look well placed and there appears to be no glitching points where you can get stuck etc falling through the floor.

Just wondering if you plan to have more in the office areas such as light fittings maybe surveillance cameras pictures or even employee of the month just little cosmetic things purely for looks or maybe even the ability for company upgrades like a surveillance package places cameras around the office and package 2 adds motion sensors etc or even option to upgrade company air-conditioning which adds in ducting vents in roof.

I know the walk-through is just for looking around but there a few ideas not sure how realistically possible they are or if its even suited to Tech Executive Tycoon but hey you don’t know if you don’t ask πŸ™‚

Oh almost forgot its not highly important but will there be any random office sounds etc phones ringing random chatter maybe occasional keyboard typing when you go through in walk through mode.

Great Video
    Regards
    Fulysic

WEB
      WEB
      Keymaster

Hey Fulysic, Thanks so much first of all for your dedication!

To everything you said, the answer is yes. There will be a system almost exactly as you mentioned. So there will be office add-ons that enhance your office in many ways. Security systems, air conditioning and other amenities. All of these things will be on your budget as well πŸ™‚

So you will have to measure the benefit vs. the cost.

So each office is upgrade-able. What I want is for you to feel that the office is a part of you, that it is a character itself. You will upgrade, manage, sell, lease or even buy offices.

Pocketlove
    Participant

Hello, WEB Gaming Entertainment.
    So, as I could see, the translation will be on multiple languages, and I saw russian there. My native language is russian, so I am intrested in how will you be translating it. Because, google translate hasn’t got the best translation of phrases. It doesnot understand contexts.

WEB
      WEB
      Keymaster

Hello Pockeylove,

That is a very valid question. I’m planning to work with individuals for the translations. This will take place later in the development of the game though. I definitely do NOT want to use google translate though as I agree the context can get lost with that avenue.

Thanks for the question and I’ll keep you all updated on these things.

Pocketlove
        Participant

Thanks for reply, and good luck in development!

πŸ™‚

WEB
          WEB
          Keymaster

Thank you!

noobatit
            Participant

I can help with Turkish translation if that’s in your plans.

noobatit
    Participant

Hi.

Here are some suggestions. I’m not sure if they are doable, or they are in line with your plans, because I recently discovered the game and I didn’t have time to watch the videos.

2- Office. We could move to a bigger office or just expand our existing one when there’s the need. We could force our staff to work on the same desk if we are short on cash.

3- Technology. I hope you are not going to leave the technology level where it is in the real world. Because often times, this is the problem for games like this for me. I mean, I hope we see PlayStation 8, iPhone 9c, Ultrabook 2090 etc in the game. Technologies in the real world like wearable tech, Augmented Reality stuff, Robotics and personal assistants like Siri have the potential to generate some better tech for your game. You can add a more advanced version of one of these, or combine them. For example, A Siri-like robot that can wake you up in the morning after preparing your coffee, or an AR device that can take you to anywhere you want without getting off your chair and presenting you an interactive environment.

3- Business. I’m not sure if we will sell hardware in the game, but we can outsource some stuff to other companies, like assembling our new product in China, where the workers are almost free.

Some companies might announce bankruptcy and some might be the next search giant. This could be randomized and not make us feel taking the same steps every time we start a new game. Also, new companies could be founded, and we could buy companies and start-ups later in the game. For example, we can buy an augmented reality start-up and accelerate our research for a device, or create something unique in the game’s world.

4- Employees. Employees might want to work from home, and in return you may cut a portion of their salary. They might want to take their time on a personal project and you might get the privilege to buy the patent of his project, or at least buy a portion of it or make it a product of your own company and give the guy a promotion, if the project is successful. Or you can offer to help the guy and make his project become real by making him the head of a small team which will work on his personal project. Or just tell the guy he’ll get his salary cut if his performance drops.

When we are about to promote someone for a position, we could give everyone a project, and promote the one who does the best job, or ask them to come up with an idea.

When one of our staff decides to retire, we might ask him to consider the decision, or give him a percentage of our company’s share to keep him in the game and contribute to our company.

Chrolic
    Participant

A little thing i came to think of, you might already have answered it, but what about music?

Tycoon games seems to either lack, or completely rock the sounds and music.

A little idea, like other games, use music consistent with the time period. That would be really cool, maybe with a voice over with different news announcment (first graphic cards, first TV, things like that)

i havent gotten to read/watch the Dev blogs yet, so maybe you have it covered πŸ™‚

Nathboy321
    Participant

Hi

just had a bit of an idea that you could look into for
    the game,

beening able to select how long each day will last in real
    time eg at the start of the game a player could
    choose 15 mins 30 min ect for how long the game day will
    last in real time ,

also with being able to hire customer service maying
    adding in que time stats to see many people call in and how long they
    waited to see how your service side of the business is doing and then this could affect your rank , might be a good idea

looking forward to your replay

WEB
      WEB
      Keymaster

Good suggestions, queue time and all of the necessary feedback points will be in the game. πŸ™‚ great suggestions!

eSy
    eSy
    Participant

I watched the 14 Blog and it cool looking game. This may already be in the dev map but make the computer screen black and them when someone is using them (or that one) colored like is now. The second thing is to make better or clear Models and animations + player models and more realistic lighting and the last thing make the area at the gates (where they come) in like parking slot or something just don’t let it be black and make this game run at least at 2 duo Core 2ghz+ in low settings if so. Thanks for reading if you do.

Dev. Reply and I can tell more of my suggestions πŸ™‚ !

WEB
      WEB
      Keymaster

These things are all a part of the plan. I was just adding in some of the functionality with desk where there will be papers and other indicators that someone is working there compared to a desk where no one is hired. Good suggestions.

Feel free to keep the suggestions coming. I love to read them

eSy
    eSy
    Participant

So Thank you Web for reply. So here are my other suggestions (by the way if you need any beta testers i’m the guy “FREE” love your game).

1. (may be in the dev plan) make like textures for the boxes like for GPU,Games,CPU etc.
    2. You can make few outside areas like Street with moving cars,parking slot or lot etc.

For now only this two suggestion which are in my mind and i will post more if I get more suggestion.

WEB
      WEB
      Keymaster

1. This is planned
      2. This may be in, may not.

michael7310
    Participant

I would also love to try out the game once it’s ready , I have always wanted a game exactly like this , but this is nothing like anything else !

Suggestions:
    Add Conventions to showcase your product e.g E3 , Electronic Consumers Convention stuff like that

And what is the release date? I really want this game!!
    Also add MAC support

Thanks love this game.

WEB
      WEB
      Keymaster

Yes conventions are definitely planned.

There will be Mac support and the release date is mid 2015, targeting June.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 7 months ago by WEB WEB.

michael7310
        Participant

Is there a alpha or beta available? If they’re is not i recommend releasing a alpha version / beta , early access

WEB
          WEB
          Keymaster

I plan to release a beta version for testing purposes. I have not nailed down a date yet, but it is coming soon.

michael7310
    Participant

Also will we be able to see the competitors their market share , they’re headquarters they new and old products? and the sale price of their units and have notifications if competitors implement price drops , and also provide a recommended sale price along with how much it costs to produce one unit and have percentage numbers on the profit per unit you will be able to make?

Thanks,
    Michael

michael7310
    Participant

Also for game console development , it would be cool if you could edit the size of CPU , the exterior of the console and get ratings regarding the design , size etc and what customers are looking for , by customising this i mean , for example clicking a button and then you are taken to a warehouse / factory and can design your motherboard and console design , which will implement how much a unit would cost due to the materials and quality of the products you use in your unit , and be able to change the shape with TV’s radios etc , so you have a leading edge over your competitors and look different , personally i think it’s a great idea as it allows more of a customisable aspect to the game.

Boris911
    Participant

Hello,
    my next suggestion is that before start selling of your new product you will be able do any introduction invention, like do e.g. Apple.

From there will be create hype of fan which will want to buy it much more, but how much will be depend on player’s (your CEO) e.g. amount of charisma skill points and presentation/selling skill points.

Boris911
    Participant

Otherwise to future you could create (e.g. like payment DLC for Tech Executive Tycoon) business like cellular network provider (like e.g. Vodafone or AT&T).

Player will have to research new technology of network (e.g. you will start with analogue NMT network, after research (e.g. GSM for call and GPRS for data) you will be able to invest to upgrade your network to digital GSM network, GPRS for data transfer from CSD dial up).

You would be able re-brand mobile phone from OEM manufacture to your brand.

Buy needed frequency from government auction for regions where you will wand expend (e.g. if you want to build or expand your network in Germany or USA you will want to buy = win free frequency for it in government auction which will sell it), etc…

Or you can expand to the world-wide country like virtual mobile provider (MVNO) if you will not have your own frequency or enough money.

Or in future you could be able to buy loosing competitors company.

That is my idea.

ltl king
    Participant

Hi.

Jon is a guy who is a middle-manager in Watermelon. company. He is stuck with his position and can’t get a promotion. One day he has enough, and decides to
    “Apply to your company.” You would get him with high skills at a cheaper cost than normal.
    Maybe just not enough hrs.
    (I have been in that position before. My hrs were getting cut so I picked up another job to get more hrs. Some time later. He gave me my hrs back.)

Having a position of management open or soon to open may draw people from other companies to yours or make them want a higher salary if you do not have any management potions open or soon to open.

To break this away from the other similar games. Have goals/levels to reach in order to move to the next level.

Amass 10 mil within 10 yrs. Money hoarding cooperates. πŸ™‚
    Have a profit margin 5,000 of by the X yr.
    Develop a game with a review of 5/10… 6/10… within X ys.

Making the goals will allow you to play higher levels which allows larger offices or some other unlockable.
    (Sandbox mode of course)
    To make it on hard mode.
    You have a small 1 room office and 1 employees and have to develop a 10/10 review.
    Submit challenges though the forums.
    This would make the game more open to repayable.

In the beginning the player can be involved in development process.

A game room. A few game consoles where employees go to relax and take a break. Playing other games, possibly have a game breaking idea to add to your game. Testing out the competition.
    Bug testing your item while on break.

In the video the objects placed in set spots.
    Later maybe even after release try to make it free build where you can place objects where we choose.
    Even be able to buy an open office bldg or buy land to build your own office. Where you can place the walls yourself.

Having a large accountants office. You would be able to have more in there working and it has benefits of managing money.
    Large HR Dept. Lower salaries.

Leave it up to players and see what players can come up with.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.